Gordon Brown told the UNITE (Amicus) conference
"I cannot promise to implement the fourth option on council housing today
[a demand from the Defend Council Housing group for the last six years] but what I will tell you is that councils will be allowed to build homes again" (Guardian Unlimited, 18 June).
800 delegates welcomed Brown waving the new DCH "Hands Up for the Fourth Option".
Organise a 'Hands Up for the Fourth Option' event in your area and contact the press (Order 'hands' £10 for 50 inc p&p)
Amicus and UNISON conference delegates this week put their "Hands up for the Fourth Option". Margaret Wilkinson (pictured at UNISON) is a council tenant and councillor from Vale of Glamorgan who is speaking at the DCH conference on July 12. (photo Marcus Rose, Insight Visual)
DCH supporters are saying 'If not today then when Gordon?' - and in the meantime there must be a moratorium on all transfers and ALMOs. Councils cannot be allowed to continue to bully
tenants on the basis that government policy won't change when it clearly is!
"Mr Brown has an 'open mind' about the fourth option for council housing,
as an alternative to transfer, arm's-length management and the private finance initiative, his spokesperson said this week." (Inside Housing, 8 June).
See Press Archive.
Help turn sound bites into concrete proposals with a clear timescale for implementing the 'Fourth Option' to:
1. Improve all existing council homes and estates
2. Start a new council house building programme
3. Ensure sufficient funds to maintain all council homes in future years
latest DCH newspaper
DCH July 12 conference flyer
'Fourth Option' 2006 Labour Conference
Around 200 authorities would directly benefit from 'Fourth Option' changes to revenue and capital funding including those retaining their homes, those with ALMOs and those where tenants have rejected privatisation or not yet voted. And all authorities across England, Scotland and Wales would gain from the opportunity to build new council housing.
Make sure tenants in areas facing privatisation use this knowledge to stand up to bullying and blackmail and ensure there a broad delegation from every area attending
the DCH national conference on July 12 to
discuss how to take the campaign forward.
Defend Council Housing has posted a 'Fourth Option' for council housing
e-petition on the Downing Street website.
Forward on this email to help collect signatures
Help step up the pressure to bring this campaign to a successful conclusion:
- Pass this model motion Word .doc or
pdf in your organisation
- Help campaign against any stock transfer, PFI or ALMO proposals in your area
- Organise a delegation of tenants, councillors and trade unionists to attend the DCH national conference on July 12
- Order and distribute campaign material in your organisation and area (new DCH newspaper and
'Case for Council Housing in 21st Century Britain' pamphlet)
- Sign the e-petition and encourage others to sign too
- Ask your MP to sign EDM 136 Funding Decent Council Housing and join the Council Housing group of MPs at Parliament
- Distribute campaign material at tenants and union conferences and other events (email to get material posted to you)
- Organise a 'Hands up for the fourth option' event in your area and contact the press (Order 'hands' £10 for 50 inc p&p)
- Affiliate & donate to DCH
DCH is holding a national conference, July 12 at TUC Congress House, London
Download conference Flyer & Programme
, circulate locally and organise a delegation of
tenants, trade unionists and councillors from your area to attend. Propose to your council that they sponsor the delegation - they always say they want tenants to be well
informed and regularly fund tenants to attend other 'similar' events (individual tenants £5; sponsored tenants, trade unionists, councillors, etc £20)
Further information from www.defendcouncilhousing.org.uk
To stop getting DCH email newsletters reply with UNSUBSCRIBE in subject.